This Pistachio Cake is old school. It’s been a family favorite for as long as I can remember and since it’s my Dad’s favorite we make it at least once every year on his birthday. The whole family likes it and our family friends too; it’s a tried and true recipe we make regularly for get-togethers.
When I was younger I was scared to try Pistachio Cake because I thought that cream cheese in dessert was weird. In fact I didn’t really like cream cheese at all until my adult years. Silly me! But it turns out cream cheese in dessert is like…genius.
As soon as I tried this cake I fell immediately in love! The pistachio pudding is sweet and smooth, the cream cheese layer is actually my favorite part and the Cool Whip topping balances it perfectly. It’s a fun cake because of the vibrant green color too. I have seen many people make a pistachio bundt cake using either yellow or white cake mixes, but I’ve never tried that version. I definitely think our Pistachio Cake is the route to go. The pistachio is the prominent flavor just as it should be. And since it’s my Dad’s favorite I know it has to be good. 🙂
- 1 ¼ cup Bisquick
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter, firm and cut into small pieces
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts (we used walnuts)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 2 packages (3 ¾ ounces each) JELLO instant pistachio pudding
- 2 ½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Mix the Bisquick, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Press into greased baking dish. Bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat 1 cup confectioners’ sugar with the cream cheese until smooth. Mix 1 cup Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture. Spread over cooled crust.
- Mix pistachio pudding and milk with a hand mixer until thickened. Carefully pour the pudding over the cream cheese layer and spread evenly. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Fold in 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar into the remaining Cool Whip and spread over set pudding. Sprinkle with nuts before serving.