Crab Rangoon Cups

One of my favorite things to order at Chinese restaurants is crab rangoon.  I mean, its fried(yum!), has cream cheese(yum!), and crab meat(yum!). What more could you ask for? Many times I even find myself ordering crab rangoon as my entrée! It is something I have always wanted to make at home but never knew how. What kind of wrapper would I use, is the filling just cream cheese and crab meat? If I go to an Italian restaurant I have no problems trying to recreate my meals at home. But in Chinese restaurants I never know where to start. I guess I’m just not very confident in my Chinese cooking. From now on though, I am going to start trying to recreate my meals. These crab rangoon cups turned out great. And even better, they are baked, not fried.

We made a bunch of Chinese restaurant inspired dishes one weekend and crab rangoon cups  were one of them. Of all the dishes we made, these were by far the easiest. And they were tasty too! I especially loved the addition of Sriracha. It added a nice kick. I don’t think that the crab rangoons in restaurants are usually spicy, but I actually really liked the spiciness. They weren’t too spicy, but you could definitely taste the Sriracha. I am not a big fan of onion flavor, so I will skip the chives next time. Not to worry though, I ate my share of crab rangoon, even with the chives!  We put some of these in the freezer and they reheated very well. They tasted just as good as when we first made them. If you like the unhealthy restaurant version of crab rangoon then you have to try these healthier ones! They are little cups of crab and cream cheese heaven!

Here is what you'll need

Combine the cream cheese, mayo, crab, chives, and Sriracha

Don't forget the pepper

Spray your muffin tin and put a wonton wrapper in each cup

Mix, mix, mix

Spoon the mixture into the cups and pop them in the oven

Bake until golden brown

Baked not fried = nearly guilt free

Comments

1. Carolyn says

These look so good! I think I may try these as a football game snack. Were the Won Ton wrappers easy to find?

PS – Love the (new?) Live Love Pasta apron!!

• says

They were very good! Kelly got the wonton wrappers at Marianos. But I have seen them at Eurofresh. They are across from the milk by the cheese and hummus. Kelly got that apron for her birthday!

2. Samantha says

Oh yum! I want to make these for a staff potluck at the beach this week. Do you think they would still be good a few hours after baking? Or will the wonton wrappers get chewy? I would be baking them at noon and the potluck starts at 2:30.

• Samantha says

Thanks! Any recommendations on how to store them before the potluck? Should I leave them out or put in the fridge, covered or uncovered?

• says

I would think they would be ok to leave unrefrigerated for a couple hours. But I would cover them. If you have access to a microwave your could refrigerate them and then microwave them.

3. Eskaymo says

Made these last night, they were so simple and delicious! Surprisingly they tasted even better the next day, definitely going to make these again but going to use real crabmeat next time. Thanks for the recipe!

4. li says

how long an they last in the fridege? i want to make them but its like 3-4 days away can i keep them this long?

5. raitchi2 says

A great recipe! We made this last night and found it too crabby, but after talking it over with my girlfriend we realized that “1 can (6 oz.) white crabmeat, drained and chopped” means just use what comes in a 6 oz can of crab meat (4.25 oz of actual meat after draining). We made the mistake of using 6 oz of crab meat itself instead of what comes in a 6 oz can. This made it overly crabby. For those of you that think there’s no such thing (like we did), there is. We couldn’t let the recipe go because it sounds like a big hit when done right. We tried the recipe again this morning, and it turned out wonderful! I think this will be our signature appetizer dish now when going to parties.

Trackbacks