Sweet & Sour Chicken

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Every weekend Kelly, Cliff and myself have a big cooking fest. Usually we end up with the most random selection of food. Often times we end up with 5 different desserts and no lunch or dinner. Two weekends ago we really had our act together though! We made three Chinese restaurant style recipes which we posted this week. Crab rangoon, eggrolls, and now sweet and sour chicken.  Now you are ready to make the whole meal! We really love Chinese food, but we tend to order things like orange chicken or lemon chicken. Both of which are usually fried. In other words, not so healthy!  I am not going to claim that this recipe is healthy. But it is healthier than the fried version. We also added vegetables in lieu of rice so that should add some nutrition.

When Kelly first suggested this recipe I immediately said no because Cliff will not go near anything that has ketchup in it. We decided to go ahead and do it anyway and just hope he didn’t notice the big bottle of ketchup in our “here is what you’ll need” picture. He is surprisingly observant though. At first he refused to eat it, but eventually he gave it a try. And he liked it!! We like extra sauce so we doubled the sauce portion of the recipe. The only thing we didn’t like was that the vinegar flavor was very strong. Next time we will not double the vinegar portion. I have reflected that in my ingredients below. Other than that we loved this chicken!! It was even better than the sweet and sour chicken you get at Chinese restaurants. This chicken has a nice crispy texture but is not fried, and the sauce goes great with the chicken and the vegetables.

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Here is what you'll need

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Cut the chicken in bite sized pieces and then sprinkle with salt and pepper

Whisk the egg

Coat the chicken in egg

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Dredge the chicken in corn starch

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Brown the chicken in a little bit of oil

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Begin the sauce with sugar

Add ketchup

Soy Sauce

Vinegar

And garlic powder

Mix well

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Transfer the browned chicken to a baking sheet and coat with half of the sauce

Cook the chicken for about 45 minutes flipping every 15

Meanwhile, saute the vegetables

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Simmer the remaining sauce in a pot for about 8 minutes until thickened, then coat the vegetables with the sauce

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Add the cooked chicken to the vegetables and mix

Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe pictures

Better than take out? I think so.

Comments

1. says

My goodness. This looks so much better than takeout! I will definitely be making this soon. Thank you for the great recipe and step by step. Big fan right here :)

2. says

Can’t wait to try this. My son is allergic to pineapple and haven’t been able to make my sweet & sour recipe, so I like that this uses sugar for the “sweet.”

3. says

I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it tonight…its AWESOME!! I have 3 boys and they all loved it and my oldest even asked if I could make this again, that’s a BIG deal :) I love your site and can’t wait to make more of your yummy recipes!

4. Taylor says

I made this for dinner last night and it was a hit! I LOVE chinese food, and this was super easy and delicious!
    Although I have to admit that I made this with some store bought egg rolls, so next time I will definitely have to try your homemade egg roll recipe!

5. Erika says

This looks fantastic. I definitely want to give this a try. I have a question, though. In the recipe, you say to use 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. But, in the picture, you’re using a tablespoon. Should I be using a teaspoon or a tablespoon?

6. Janette Nelson says

Found you guys on pinterest. Just cooked this tonight and it was so good! I will definitely cook this again.

7. Megan says

Way too sweet! I like sweet foods and I thought this was too overwhelming. I would try and make it again, but with maybe half the sugar and maybe substitute something for the ketchup!

8. PJ says

This sounds amazing. I am thinking about making this tomorrow but the only problem is I do not have any cider vinegar. I only have distilled white vinegar. Do you think this will be okay? Or should I get the cider? :))

9. Rachel says

This was GREAT! I made the sauce and microwaved it for a minute rather than baking the chicken with the sauce, and it was a superb dipping sauce. There wasn’t anything left! I’d even use the sauce as a salad dressing if I were to use bites of chicken on a salad. I shared this on my Foodies Haifa Facebook page (here in Israel) on facebook, and it’s gotten a lot of likes!