Chicken Pad Thai

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures One of my favorite Thai dishes is Pad Thai. I know…typical…and a bit generic. I try to be more adventurous when I go to Thai restaurants, but it’s hard when I already know how good Pad Thai is. Why mess with a good thing?

Even though I’ve ordered Pad Thai at restaurants lots of times, I didn’t think I’d ever actually make Pad Thai at home. I’m sure I said the same thing with the egg rolls we made a few months back. There is something about asian food. Maybe its the strange (to me) ingredients or the oddball names, but I think asian food is intimidating. But Kara and I set out to make this dish and we succeeded. It was so good!! Restaurant quality for sure.

I do have to warn you about one thing though. We made it as written and found it to be pretty spicy. I think I drank a full glass of water while eating one small bowl. I like a little kick but if you’re sensitive to heat you will probably think this is too spicy. Keep that in mind when you try this dish and just adjust the spices to suit your tastes.

Here's what you'll need

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Cook the noodles according to the package instructions

Start with cubed chicken

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Saute with garlic and green onion

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Once it looks cooked through transfer it to a plate

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Heat oil in the wok then cook the eggs

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Cook the eggs until firm

Toss in the noodles

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

And the chicken, green onions and garlic

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Pour in the sauce, adjust the spices to your tastes

Squeeze in the lime

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Toss in the bean sprouts

Chicken Pad Thai recipe pictures

Garnish with peanuts, a lime wedge, green onion and shredded carrot and cabbage

Comments

• says

That should have said hot chili sauce, not sweet chili sauce. I’ve updated the recipe. If you can’t find Sriracha you can substitute with another hot sauce.

1. katherine says

I just made this tonight, and it was great! Even better than I’ve had in most Thai restaurants. I left out the cayenne but otherwise found the spice level to be good (it was pretty hot). And I used only 4 Tbsp sugar because I like pad thai with only a bit of sweetness. Thanks!

2. Hillary says

This is by far the best pad thai I’ve had! The flavor is perfect and it’s so easy to make! I actually use a Korean red pepper paste (gochujang) instead of chili sauce and it comes out amazing. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

3. Audrey says

I’ve never made pad thai before, but I can now say that I’ll never go for take-out again. This was easy and fantastic. I didn’t have siracha but I had a spicy chili garlic sauce which did the trick. I’m looking forward to trying different protein options like shrimp or tofu in the future. Thanks for the recipe!

4. Jenae says

I thought I’d let you know that I found this recipe approx 6 months ago and it has since become the most asked for meal in our home! I have to cook it for my husband at least once per week! Thank you for such an awesome recipe! My husband now prefers this over going out to a thai restaurant. The only thing I do is double the sauce recipe. :) Thank you.

• Bekah says

Reduce sugar to 4 tablespoons and add 2 tablespoons of Tamarind concentrate or paste (you can pick it up at an international store or Asian market). It adds a little special something.