Cliff and I are officially back from vacation. Sad face. Wish we could have stayed in Mexico much longer. I know that many people aren’t able to go on any vacation so I really shouldn’t complain. But still 5 days was not long enough!! The only thing I was looking forward to coming back to was these granola bars. I froze a whole bunch before we left to eat when we returned. I hate coming home to an empty refrigerator after vacation. The last thing I want to do when I get home is go grocery shopping or have to think what we are going to eat for dinner the rest of the week. I always try to put some pre-made freezer meals in the freezer for our lunches and dinners for the remainder of the week. This time, I was able to have some breakfast food as well. Sad that I am not still laying on the beach in Mexico but glad that we have meals covered. Trying to stay optimistic…
Anyway, we all really love granola bars and these were no exception. I love the portability of granola bars. I stick a whole bunch in my lunch bag at the beginning of the week and I always have something to snack on at work. That being said, these are not all that healthy. The creator of this recipe lists some changes you can make to make them a little healthier so check her website if you would like a healthier version. Sometimes though, I pick tasty and convenient over healthy. These were the easiest granola bars I have ever made. I also loved the consistency. They were not hard and they were not dry and crumbly. Most importantly they really did taste like snickerdoodles!! In the future I plan to use the base of this granola bar recipe and add different things like dried fruit or nuts. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional and to taste
- 3 and ½ cups quick cook oats
- ¾ all purpose flour
- ½ cup white chocolate chips melted for drizzling, optional
- Line an 8x8 baking dish or cake pan with foil. Make sure that there is enough foil on each side so that you can life the granola bars out of the pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large microwave safe bowl combine the butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and sugar. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 1 final minute and stir again.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir well. Add the oats. Mix well. Add the flour and mix again.
- Spread the batter into the lined 8x8 inch pan or dish. Use a spoon to press the batter evenly into the pan.
- Melt the white chocolate and drizzle it on the granola with a spoon. Place the granola bars in the refrigerator for 2 hours or the freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
- Once firm remove the granola and foil from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. I cut mine into 24 bars.