On Tuesday, I started a new job and I’m really excited about it. It’s similar to my previous position (won’t bore you with details) but it’s a new opportunity and I’m looking forward to bigger and better things. But…let me tell you the real reason I’m so excited.
My previous building was in The Loop and there were about 50 restaurants inside and tons more within steps outside. Not to mention a Starbucks and a CVS. Almost daily I would find a reason to run down to CVS for a snack, or to Starbucks for a coffee. Don’t even get me started on McFlurry Mondays. Or…I would pack a healthy lunch and let it sit in the fridge while I went out with friends everyday. Day after day after day! I probably gained 10 pounds in the 2 years I worked there. I have no self control. My new building is in the burbs where the convenience is less at my fingertips. Less temptation = dreams of a toned tummy.
Needless to say, the fact that Mug Cake Week coincides with my attempt to eat healthy and stop snacking is KILLING ME! I just finished a hot yoga class with my BFF Jen and ate a banana. Bleh!! But what I would give for a Red Velvet Mug Cake! Especially with a huge dollop of cream cheese frosting. Oh em gee. I think I’d give my right arm.
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a large coffee mug.
- Whisk well with a fork until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 1½–3 minutes. (Time depends on microwave; ours took 1½ minutes.)
- Meanwhile, add cream cheese and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and beat until combined.
- Top Mug Cake with cream cheese frosting.