I fancy myself a cheese connoisseur. I love fancy expensive cheeses. I do not, however, discriminate when it comes to cheese. I like expensive blue and I like the big brick of cheddar that you pay $2 for. And yeah, I even like cheese in a can. But only nacho cheese. I draw the line at spray cheese. I just can’t get into spray cheese.
Baked cheese is new for me though. Kelly is a big fan and insisted that we do something with baked cheese. I went ahead and bought a package not really having a plan for it. The package says you can microwave it, grill it, or bake it. I had never grilled cheese before so I decided to try it out. We decided to pair our cheese with potatoes and then brush it with pesto. I don’t know which was my favorite part. The whole thing was delicious. On the package of the cheese they call it the bread cheese because it already has a grilled texture on it similar to bread crust. It got nice and soft on the grill but it didn’t completely melt and fall off the skewers. Luckily for us. Just make sure not to leave it on the grill too long.
- 10 ounces baked cheese
- 1 pound baby red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto, homemade or store bought
- Boil our potatoes until fork tender.
- Heat the grill to medium high.
- Cut cheese into 1 inch squares.
- Place the cooked potatoes and cheese on skewers.
- Brush with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes, flip, and grill an additional 2 minutes.
- Place on platter and brush with pesto.
- Serve immediately.
- If you leave the cheese on the grill too long it will melt right off the skewers.