I’m just gonna say it. Apple pie is my least favorite fall dessert. GASP!
Don’t get me wrong, I love love love desserts with apples, but pie is just not.my.thing. Standard pumpkin or apple pie…I can do without it. Does anybody agree with me or am I on my own with this one?
You see, there is something about pie crust, it’s meh to me. It’s not sweet enough and oftentimes it’s kind of dry. Perhaps I’ve just never had AMAZING pie and I welcome people to send pies my way to taste test. I could be persuaded with an Oreo crust. But as of today, if I can get my pumpkin and apple fix from places other than pie…I’m gonna do it. Luckily, there are MILLIONS of pumpkin and apple dessert recipes out there!
For this reason I fell in love with this Apple Pie Smoothie. The apple pie flavor was prominent and I got my apple pie fix without the pie. If you skipped the whipped cream topping then this smoothie is a completely acceptable breakfast smoothie.
Plus it took 5 minutes to make…no oven needed. Love when that happens.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apples
- 1 frozen banana, chopped
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (we used non-fat)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- In a small food processor, pulse the oats several times until they've broken down.
- Add the oats, banana, apples, cider, yogurt, honey and apple pie spice to a bowl or large cup. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Pour into 1 large glass (or two small glasses) and serve immediately.
- We topped our smoothies with a cinnamon stick, whipped cream, a dusting of apple pie spice and a drizzle of dulce de leche. :)