Christmas is such a fun time of year. It is a time to to turn even simple things like pizza dough into cutesy, Christmasy, masterpieces. Everyone decorates cookies for Christmas but what about bread? We took some simple pizza dough and dressed it up with holiday colors. Green like pine, red like holly berries and white like snow. Easy as pie, but oh so cute!
Pizza dough is something I always keep in the freezer. Sometimes homemade and sometimes store bought. When I have no idea what to make for dinner it is so easy to take out a bag of dough in the morning and throw in a quick pizza when I get home in the evening. This bread is great because it is mostly things I always have on hand. I always have dough, I almost always have some kind of pesto and I always have some kind of dried fruit and nuts. And above all, I always have cheese. This is really easy to throw together but tasty and of course festive. Feel free to add whatever toppings you’d like to your pizza dough wreath.
- 1 pound homemade or store bought pizza dough
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- pine nuts
- dried cranberries
- Romano cheese, grated
- Allow the dough to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a rope about 1 1/2 -2 feet long.
- Braid the dough and arrange it into a circle.
- Brush with olive oil and then pesto.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and cranberries.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with grated Romano cheese.