Why did it take us this long to try a breakfast pizza? WHY GOD WHY (name that TV show)?! It is no secret that we love pizza of all sorts: deep dish, garlic bread pizza, pizza fondue, pizza potato skins, pizza dip, gyro pizza, pizza burgers. Have I convinced you yet…because I could go on for days. The fact that we hadn’t experimented with breakfast pizza up until now is mind boggling.
Luckily the wait is over. And we found the perfect breakfast pizza recipe. Kara wouldn’t go near it because she doesn’t like sausage or egg, but Cliff, my Mom, my Dad and I all loved it! It is SUPER quick to make, a perfect option for company and it’s easily adaptable. We were looking for a spicy version so we went with pepper jack cheese but I will definitely try it with other cheeses too. I think it would also taste great with mozzarella cheese, colby-jack, monterrey jack…you name it.
Are you planning any brunch get togethers? If yes, here’s your recipe. If not, well…you should. This pizza should be your excuse to plan one! Impress everybody with your breakfast skills!
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1 cup pepperjack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional garnishes
- dash of hot sauce
- dollop of Greek yogurt
- tomatoes, chopped
- avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until browned. Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage up into small pieces as it cooks. Drain the fat.
- Unroll the pizza dough and lay the rectangle of dough out on a baking sheet, pinching the edges to form a crust.
- Spoon the cooked sausage evenly over the dough. Spread the hash browns over the sausage and sprinkle the pepper jack cheese on top of the hash browns.
- In a medium bowl, beat together milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture carefully over the cheese layer.
- Top with cotija cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with garnishes, if desired, before serving.