To me, risotto is the ultimate indulgence. Is anybody else with me? It’s one of the first dishes that pops into my head when I want to make dinner for a special occasion. It’s rich and it’s creamy and when somebody makes you risotto you know that they care. There’s a minimum of a million and one ways to prepare risotto; I probably couldn’t choose a clear favorite even if I tried.
KitchenAid challenged us to “GET SWEET ON RISOTTO and consider risotto in a sweet context” which was and idea that was brand new and very exciting to us. After testing out a couple recipes, we decided that a creative twist on a classic dessert was the way to go… a gourmet hot fudge sundae! Hot fudge sundaes never go out of style and they are loved by everybody. If you’ve ever made risotto before you know that, while it’s relatively easy to make, it does take some time, attention and patience. We used our 36″ 5-Burner Gas Cooktop to make the risotto that we used for our Coconut Risotto Hot Fudge Sundae and it turned out just as we had hoped, rich and extra indulgent.
What I love most about risotto is the flavors you put into it completely morph the flavor. So it’s fun to get creative with sweet ingredients! The sweetened condensed milk along with the sweetened coconut flakes transformed this risotto into a gourmet desert that I want to serve over and over again. Kara manned the stove while I prepped the sundae toppings. The versatile dual tier burner makes cooking easy no matter what you’re preparing. We use the high setting all the time for searing meat, but because risotto cooks low and slow we kept it at a low setting and let it simmer to perfection. The cooktop’s small inner ring allows for more accurate simmer control at the lowest setting.
Since we wanted the sweet risotto to be the star of the show we went with simple and classic toppings: a drizzle of hot fudge, a generous dollop of whipped cream, sliced almonds for that much needed crunch and, of course, a cherry on top. You can make homemade whipped cream or use store bought, your choice! The toppings mixed with the sweet coconut risotto made the ultimate gourmet sundae. Who needs ice cream anyways?! Plus, these easy toppings are an added bonus because they make the assembly a cinch once the sweet risotto is ready. In other words…this can be a weekend AND weeknight indulgence. 😉
As part of the KitchenAid® challenge sweepstakes, we will be giving away a $100 Visa gift card!
To enter, simply leave a comment telling us about how you GET SWEET ON RISOTTO! We would love to hear your favorite sweet risotto recipes OR tell us about another cooking challenge that you recently conquered.
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2½ - 3 cups milk
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- hot fudge sauce
- whipped cream
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- maraschino cherries
- Heat a large pot over low heat and add 2 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Add 1 cup of Arborio rice and stir to coat the rice thoroughly. Adding ½ cup of liquid at a time, alternately pour in the milk and sweetened condensed milk. Stir constantly after each addition. As soon as it appears that the rice has absorbed the milk, pour in the next 1/2 cup of liquid. Do not stop stirring. The process will take 20-30 minutes. The rice is done when it no longer has a hard bite.
- Once the liquid has absorbed and the rice is cooked add a pinch of salt then stir in the sweetened coconut flakes.
- Spoon the coconut risotto into bowls.
- Heat the hot fudge in the microwave until smooth and melted.
- Drizzle the hot fudge sauce on top of the risotto.
- Top with whipped cream, sliced almonds and a maraschino cherry.
- Serve immediately.
Sweepstakes Rules: No duplicate comments. You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post.
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique terms in your tweet message: “#moretomake” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post.
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post.
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winner will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond, otherwise a new winner will be selected. The Official Rules are available here. This sweepstakes runs from 2/26/14 – 3/31/14. Be sure to visit the KitchenAid page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!