Does anybody else have daily work cravings around 2pm? Depending on the day and the amount of willpower I have, that is precisely the time when I need to get up and walk downstairs for Starbucks and a chocolate bar. I’ve only given in to this urge a few (err hundred) times.
Recently, I was meeting up with a couple friends from my old job and I wanted to make a vegan treat for my friend, Kandi. We decided on these energy bites because they were healthy and no-bake. I love how easy they came together and that we snuck chia seeds inside! Genius!!
Unfortunately for Kandi (but lucky for me) I forgot to bring her the Vegan Energy Bites when we met up. Now I have them all to myself. They live in a Ziploc bag in my desk drawer and I snack on one or two each time sweet cravings hit. I know what you’re probably thinking. How do these energy bites curb a chocolate craving?!? I promise…they do! Even though they are healthy I still feel like I am eating a dessert. They completely hit the spot. These are a perfect snack to keep at work or in your purse if you’re on the go.
- 12 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons coconut flakes, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch ground cinnamon
- Use a food processor to process almonds and cashews until they resemble small pieces but still have a good amount of texture.
- Add dates, vanilla, cinnamon, chia seeds and 2 tablespoons coconut flakes to the food processor and pulse until well combined.
- If the mixture is a little dry, add a splash of water and process to combine. We added 1-2 tablespoons water and it came together perfectly.
- Use your hands to roll into bite size balls.
- Pour the remaining coconut into a small bowl and gently roll the balls in the coconut, a few at a time.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.