Our first 4th of July recipe of the season! I love summer and fireworks and picnics and I love love love 4th of July. Isn’t it the best holiday? Any recipe that incorporates our flag’s colors makes me happy. BTW can you believe that 4th of July is already next week? I definitely can not. I know I sound like an old lady saying this….but doesn’t summer fly by? I mean for real.
We wanted to make a dessert that was easy to prepare AND easy to customize. These are perfect for BBQ’s or picnics because they don’t need to be refrigerated and they transport well. Plus any dried fruit can be plopped into these rice crispies. Even chocolate chips, coconut, etc. Of course we decided on the blueberry and strawberry freeze dried fruit because they were fantastic bursts of red and blue.
Besides 4th of July, if you’re looking for a last minute (very last minute) recipe for today’s World Cup game these would be an awesome and festive choice as well. You have until 11am CST so get moving!
- 8 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 sticks butter
- 8 cups marshmallows
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup freeze dried blueberries
- Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine cereal and dried fruit in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal and fruit and stir until evenly coated.
- Press the mixture evenly and firmly into prepared baking dish.
- Cut into squares when cool.