My Dad loves ice cream, especially butter pecan. He was so excited after Winnie was born to give her her first taste of ice cream. He started asking when she was just a few months old when she could have ice cream. He thought ice cream is soft, she doesn’t need teeth to eat ice cream. That is true, but still, we waited until she was 1 year old for her first taste of ice cream.
Kelly and I made this ice cream pie for my Dad’s birthday last week. Don’t tell him though because it is still sitting in my freezer with one big piece missing. I keep forgetting to bring it to my parent’s house. Whoops. It will make it there eventually. The butter pecan ice cream pairs great with the salty pretzels. And we added some heath bits for garnish just because a) its pretty and b) we thought we needed to add at least a tiny but of chocolate. We obviously chose to use butter pecan ice cream because it is my Dad’s favorite but you could use any ice cream you want. I think the pretzel crust would pair perfectly with peanut butter chocolate or even strawberry ice cream. Have fun customizing your own ice cream pie!
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups butter pecan ice cream
- pretzels and toffee bits for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter.
- Press into a 10 inch tart pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Spread softened ice cream over the pretzel layer.
- Garnish with pretzels and heath toffee bits.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Note: I took the ice cream out of the freezer for about 15 minutes before scooping.