This icebox cake is one of my favorite desserts to make. The first time I made it, I was kind of eehhh about it. But I liked it more and more every time I made it. It is super easy. I can make the whole thing in about 10 minutes. No baking required. The worst part of that cake is finding the Famous Chocolate Wafers. They used to have them at the grocery store I go to but I haven’t seen them in awhile. I am not about to buy them on amazon either. I’ve tried making them myself but they just don’t turn out right. So, at least until I can find those Famous Wafers, I knew I needed a new icebox cake recipe.
Luckily, my Food Network Magazine came through for me. Chocolate graham crackers, mascarpone cheese, Nutella! Yes, yes, yes! I knew right away that this version would be just fine. I do have to say, this takes a little more effort. You need to make 2 fillings instead of one. Believe me though, it is worth it! I haven’t had Nutella in awhile so I was excited to try this cake. It was delicious! The Nutella flavor was subtle but you definitely knew it was there. After leaving it in the refrigerator the graham crackers kind of melted into the fillings. I really liked this cake (as did all of my work friends). And I will definitely make it again this summer!
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 20 chocolate graham crackers
- Beat 1 cup heavy cream with 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until combined.
- Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl combine the remaining heavy cream and mascarpone cheese with the Nutella.
- Beat on low until combined.
- Increase speed to medium and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one layer of graham crackers in an 8 x 8 pan.
- Spread half of the heavy cream/mascarpone mixture.
- Add another layer of graham crackers.
- Add half of the Nutella mixture.
- Repeat so that you have 4 layers of graham crackers, 2 layers of mascarpone and 2 layers of nutella.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.