As Kara mentioned yesterday, I went to Ravinia with friends recently. #hallandoatesfanclub. Ravinia is like…my favorite place on Earth, even though we almost always end up with less than ideal weather. But really it’s about the food. And as usual, we had quite the spread!
After a lot of thought, I ended up packing these Red Velvet Brownie Cookie Bars along with the yummy Thai Chicken Salad Shells that posted yesterday.
I was going to stick with a classic and make my favorite red velvet cookies. But I wanted to try something new. I ended up making these bars, which are totally similar to the beloved cookies but with an added brownie component. Obviously you can’t go wrong there.
They turned out fabulous! These bars transported well and tasted exactly as I had hoped. A chocolatey and gooey brownie with red velvet cookie layered on top and a surprise of nuggat and caramel from the milky way right in the middle.
- For the Brownie Layer
- 1 box brownie mix (we used Double Chocolate Ghiradelli)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- For the Red Velvet Cookie Layer
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 12 mini Midnight Milky Ways, chopped
- 1 stick melted unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie mix according to box directions and spread in an even layer in the bottom of your lined baking dish. Arrange Midnight Milky Ways pieces generously over the brownie layer.
- In a large bowl, mix together red velvet mix, melted butter, egg and oil until a thick batter
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop balls of batter on top of the brownie/Milky Way layer. Lightly press down with the palm of your hand until flattened.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool completely, then cut into squares and serve.