Happy Monday! How were your weekends? On Sunday, I did the Hot Chocolate 5k run. I was apprehensive about (no training whatsoever) the run, but I survived. I ran about half the time and walked half the time. Anybody that can run a 5k (or more) without stopping is super human. It’s just fact. The run ended with a steaming cup of hot chocolate next to a bowl of melted chocolate with dippers. It kind of made it all worth it. After the run, I stopped at More Cupcakes and bought 4 cupcakes…it’s safe to say the benefits of the run were outweighed by what happened after.
Before the run it was important to get my carbs in for energy. Afterall, I needed all the help I could get. We decided these baked chili cheese fries would be perfect. We made the fries on Saturday afternoon and I snacked and snacked and snacked. They were spicy and crisp and cheesy. It doesn’t get much better than that. These fries would be great served alongside a burger, hotdog or sandwich but are equally good served alone!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry barbecue rub
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, chili powders, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and cumin. Set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the sweet potatoes. Slice in ¼-inch rounds cut lengthwise, then cut into ¼-inch strips.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil, worcestershire sauce, and dry barbecue rub. Sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the potatoes and toss together.
- Spread potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, tossing the potatoes 2-3 times during the cooking process.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven for a few extra minutes, until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.