So…we made these Nutella Puff Pastry Swirls last weekend. I fell head over heels in love. Literally ate 3 in a row. For starters, puff pastry is so buttery flaky awesome. Then, Nutella. Need I say more about that? Finally, the overall swirly spiral is just too cute. I knew right away that I wanted to bake up more swirls and experiment with fillings.
This week I followed my original recipe process but whipped up some new fillings. It was fun!
First up was ricotta cheese and lemon zest. That one was good but not quite sweet enough to put it over the top to amazingness. It’d be a good breakfast pastry though. Next time I might try mixing a bit of powdered sugar in the ricotta cheese.
Next up was a more autumnal swirl. And my personal favorite. I beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and pumpkin puree. I spread that over the bottom puff pastry sheet. Then I sprinkled cinnamon, sugar, ginger, nutmeg and cloves on top before covering with the other puff pastry sheet. Those were pretty amazing. The only negative is they were kind of ugly.
The moral of my story. These swirls are SOOO adaptable. There are a million swirls to try. Also, puff pastry is awesome! What other fillings can you think of? Please share!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 heaping tablespoons Nutella
- handful mini chocolate chips (we used semisweet)
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on top of a cutting board. Place 1 sheet of puff pastry on top.
- Gently spread Nutella all over the surface. Scatter the chocolate chips on top.
- Lay the other sheet on puff pastry top.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into 8 even strips. We kept some long and cut the others in half again. Hold the ends of each strip and twist several times. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 10 minutes the rotate and place back in the oven for 6-8 minutes. Keep a close eye during the last several minutes as baking times differ. Remove from oven when puffed and golden. Serve immediately.