When I first saw these scones on Annie’s-Eats, I knew I needed to make them for Cliff. They had all his favorites: bacon, cheese, and green onions. And I knew they would make great quick and easy weekday breakfasts for him. There was no doubt in my mind that he would love them. What’s not to love? I made them almost immediately after seeing this recipe. To my great surprise, he HATED them! He was not just indifferent about them, he really did not like them. Honestly, I was mad that I had just wasted so much time and ingredients on something he would not eat. I don’t even know what it was about them that he did not like. But he would not be taking them for breakfast!
Luckily, we were going to our twice-monthly supper club the next day, so I figured I would pawn them off on some of my friends. Fortunately for my self-esteem, my friends had the reaction that I had expected from Cliff. They loved them! Obviously Cliff was the crazy one for not enjoying these delightful little bacon, cheddar and green onion scones. I heard later that some of my friends were hoarding the scones from their spouses, even sneaking into the kitchen the next day to eat the last one. I have made them a few times since and I always share them with the same friends who tell me how wonderful my scone making skills are. At least someone appreciates all the baking I do!
Here’s what you’ll need
Chop up the green onions
Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl
Chop up the butter
Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix
Mix until crumbly, add the cheese, and mix some more
Add the bacon and the green onions
Fold in the buttermilk
Shape the dough into a disk
Crack one egg and add the water
Cut the dough into 8 wedges, place on a cookie sheet and brush with egg wash
Getting brown, almost there!
For best results enjoy fresh out of the oven!
Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Scones
For the scones
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the egg wash
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. In the bowl of an stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Add the cubed butter and mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly. (I wouldn’t really call my mixture crumbly, but it was the best I could do.) Add in the grated cheese and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the green onions, bacon, and 1½ cups of buttermilk into the flour-butter mixture. Stir by hand just until all the ingredients are incorporated. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape the dough into an 8-inch disk. Slice the dough into 8 wedges.
- In a small bowl combine the egg and water and whisk together. Brush each wedge with the egg wash. Transfer the scones to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.