March is here! Despite the ice, snow, sleet and bitter cold weather in Chicago, spring is so close I can taste it. This means swimsuit season is approaching and I’ll need to seriously consider following a strict diet and exercise regimen. But not today. Today any thoughts of elipticals, treadmills, weights, and healthy green foods are out the window. Poof! Instead I’ve turned my attention to desserts…and this one is a keeper.
Kara found this Kit Kat Bar recipe on Tasty Kitchen. Personally I don’t think these taste at all like Kit Kat Bars. The Club cracker layers do resemble the wafer layers of a Kit Kat, but the similarities end there. With that said, I think these are even better. The combination of butterscotch, peanut butter and chocolate is irresistible. These bars have been a crowd pleaser everywhere I’ve taken them.
Note: The first time I made these was for a housewarming party for my best friend, Jen and her boyfriend, Anthony. But I burnt the chocolate, butterscotch and PB while it was melting in the saucepan, I was really disappointed because they had that distinct charred smell! Be careful to not allow this to happen to you!! Aside from that step you can not mess this up.
Here’s what you’ll need
Melt 2 sticks of butter in a saucepan
Start with 1 layer of Club crackers
In a Ziploc bag (or food processor) crush your graham crackers
When the butter is melted add both sugars…
And the milk
Toss in the graham cracker crumbs too and stir constantly
Pour half over the crackers…
Then add another layer of crackers
And the rest of the caramely/graham concoction
Add one final layer of crackers
Depending on your pan you may want to break a few to completely fill the layer
Now…melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips
Add in the peanut butter
Stir this up and don’t let it burn. Eat a couple spoonfuls to ensure it’s delicious
This is the consistency you’ll want
Pour on top
Spread evenly and chill for at least 1 hour
Kit Kat Bars
- 1 box Club crackers
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk (I used skim)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Line an ungreased, 9×13 pan with a layer of crackers. Use a pan with square edges if you have it, the crackers will fit better. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk and white sugar. Bring to a boil; continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour ½ of the mixture evenly over the crackers. Add another layer of crackers on top and pour the remaining sauce on those crackers. Top with one last layer of crackers. In a new saucepan, combine peanut butter, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips and melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Use a double boiler if you have one. Make sure not to burn it. Spread evenly over crackers. Chill for at least one hour before cutting into bars. Store in fridge.