My mom has been making this Jello for years. And I assure you it’s an excellent dessert despite the fact that it’s lacking chocolate. Chocolate is my all time favorite ingredient. In my opinion, sweets aren’t even worth indulging in unless they’re uber chocolatey. But what it lacks in chocolate it makes up for with cream cheese.
Because the crust consists of crushed pretzels, sugar and butter it’s a perfect balance of sweet and salty. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can use frozen strawberries and you’d have no idea they’re not fresh. That way it’s great and inexpensive year round.
Here’s what you’ll need
Crush 2 cups pretzels
Add melted butter and sugar to pretzel crumbs
Press mixture into a 9×13 baking dish
Bake for 8-10 minutes. We forgot the sugar and are sprinkling it on now!
Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, sugar and Cool Whip
This looks ready to come out of the oven
Add cream cheese mixture to a cooled crust
Spread an even layer
Slice a bag of frozen strawberries. Or make life easier and buy pre-sliced
Add 2 Jello packets to boiling water
Stir until dissolved completely
Add sliced strawberries then pop in the fridge
Take the thickened Jello out of the fridge and pour on top of the cream cheese layer
Spread and refrigerate
Strawberry Pretzel Jello
- 2 cup pretzels, crushed
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 2 small pkgs. strawberry Jello
- 2 8 oz pkgs. frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Mix crushed pretzels, melted butter and 3 tablespoons sugar together and press in bottom of 9×13 inch pan. Bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Allow time to Cool.
- Beat cream cheese and ½ cup sugar and Cool Whip. Spread over cooled pretzel crust and chill. Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Add sliced strawberries. Place Jello in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Pour over cream cheese layer. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.