I don’t know about everyone else, but I am sooooooo ready for summer. I’m looking forward to lemonade, fresh fruit, and lots of grilling! Sometimes, when I just don’t think I can take one more day of cold weather and no sun I like to make something “summery”. These strawberry lemonade cupcakes scream summer to me. Strawberries & lemonade; doesn’t get more summery then that! These are the perfect cupcakes to get you through those long winters.
I have been a chocoholic all my life. I would ALWAYS choose chocolate over vanilla or strawberry. But lately I have been enjoying lemon, strawberry and coconut a lot too. These cupcakes have 2 of 3 so I knew I would like them. Plus, these are loaded with fruit, so they are super healthy. Except for the butter. And the sugar.
Here is what you’ll need
Cream the butter
Add the sugar
Mix the dry ingredients and the zest
Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mix
Begin adding the flour mixture
Alternate adding the milk and the flour mixture
Add the rest of the flour mixture
Fold in the diced strawberries
Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full
pop ‘em in the oven!
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the lemonade syrup
Poke holes in the cupcakes
Pour syrup on each cupcake
Puree the strawberries for the frosting
Cream the butter and cream cheese for the frosting
Add the confectioner’s sugar
Add the vanilla
Add the lemon juice
Add the strawberry puree one tablespoon at a time
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
For the cake
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
For the lemonade syrup
- 1 cup lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
For the frosting
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 18 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin pans with liners. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Stir together with a fork and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add half of the flour mixture to the bowl and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add in the milk and mix until smooth. Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix on low speed until just blended. Fold in the fresh strawberries with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the paper liners, filling them about ¾ full. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, whisk together the lemonade concentrate and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl to make the lemonade syrup. Poke several holes in the top of each cupcake with a skewer and pour the syrup over the cupcakes, allowing it to soak in.
- To make the frosting, puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender. Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. Mix in strawberry puree, a tablespoon at a time, until you achieve your desired texture and flavor of frosting. Frost cupcakes and garnish with fresh strawberries and lemon slices.