You’re curled up on the couch after a long day, craving a sweet treat but not wanting to commit to making a full dessert.
Then, the perfect solution presents itself – a Nutella Mug Cake!
This life-changing treat that’s perfect for those moments when you need a little chocolatey pick-me-up.
Nutella Mug Cake was born out of the need for a quick, effortless dessert that could satisfy late-night cravings.
This delightful treat has since become a go-to for many people, including myself, who can’t resist the heavenly combination of Nutella and cake.
Why You Will Love It
Not only does it take just a few minutes to make, but it’s also the perfect serving size for one. With a moist, chocolatey texture and rich Nutella flavor, you’ll fall in love with this dessert from the first bite.
- Use a large coffee mug to avoid overflow.
- Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Keep an eye on the cake while microwaving – cooking times may vary.
- Experiment with toppings – whipped cream, chocolate sauce, or even fresh fruit.
Enjoy it straight from the mug, or transfer it to a plate for a more elegant presentation. Top it with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, or fresh fruit for added flair and flavor.
- Swap self-rising flour for all-purpose flour and add ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- Replace Nutella with peanut butter or another nut butter for a different flavor profile.
- Use almond or soy milk for a dairy-free alternative.
Q: Can I make this cake without a microwave?
A: While this recipe is designed for microwaving, you can try baking the cake in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Q: Is it possible to make this recipe gluten-free?
A: Yes, simply substitute the self-rising flour with gluten-free self-rising flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour and add ½ teaspoon of gluten-free baking powder.
Let’s make it:
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a large coffee mug.
- Whisk well with a fork until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 1½– 3 minutes. (Time depends on microwave; mine took 1½ minutes.)
- Add heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip on medium-high speed until almost stiff.
- Add sugar and beat until heavy cream forms stiff peaks.
- Top Mug Cakes with whipped cream and a little chocolate sauce, if desired.
If you would like to try more delicious mug cakes, (of course you do!) here are the links:
Mint Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Biscoff Mug Cake
Red Velvet Mug Cake
Peanut Butter Chocolate Mug Cake