I don’t think it’s much of a secret that I’m a fan of cheese. Cheese pizza, cheesecake, cheese fries, grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, cheese and crackers…the list goes on and on. But melted cheese in particular definitely holds a special place in my heart.
This dip takes only minutes to prepare and it is an addicting appetizer, snack, or side dish to your dinner. Better yet, pass on dinner and just munch on this dip. It’s irresistibly good. I have never ordered Queso Blanco from a mexican restaurant before, but without fail, I scarf down enough chips and salsa to be too full for dinner. This is along those same lines-so good that you can not stop eating it!
The heat from the jalapeno is subtle, definitely not too intense. The blend of Monterey Jack and White American cheeses is absolutely perfect, velvety smooth. The tomatoes, onions and cilantro are great components and add just the right flavors to the cheese. Believe me it would be a hit at any party.
Note: You’ll see that one of the ingredients is white American Cheese. If white American Cheese was foreign to you too, don’t let it throw you for a loop. You can find it in most local grocery stores in the deli section. Ask them to slice it thick so that it’s easier to grate.
Here’s what you’ll need. I accidentally got thinly sliced white American Cheese. No biggie, cheese is cheese.
Start by dicing an onion.
Then seed and devein your jalapeno, the heat is mostly in the seeds and ribs. Finely dice that too
Remove the seeds from a tomato. Every last one. There are very few things I dislike more than tomato seeds!
Chop the tomato up
Ok now it’s time to grate the cheese.
Heat oil in a pan and start cooking the onion and jalapeno until tender, about 5 minutes
Then pour in the milk
Add in the star of your show next- CHEESE!
Roughly chop some cilantro. A few tablespoons worth will do ya
Once the cheese is melted, add the tomatoes and cilantro. Add milk, a little at a time, until you reach the right consistency
This looks just about right!
Serving it in a warm bowl helps to keep the cheese gooey and melty. Eat up!
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil (we used canola)
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed; diced
- 12 oz white American cheese, shredded
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup milk (up to 2/3 cup)
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 2-3 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add both shredded cheeses and 1/4 cup of milk. Stir until melted. Add the tomatoes and cilantro. Then gradually add additional milk until you reach desired consistency. Transfer to a warmed bowl and serve immediately with tortilla chips.