I have to admit I was leery of trying these breakfast burritos. I’m extremely picky about eggs. I prefer eggs when they’re baked into cupcakes, cheesecakes, cookies, etc. But sometimes I have to think past the sweets and look to the savory. Today is one of those times.
Cliff wanted to make these breakfast burritos and he swore they were good. It was his special creation inspired by the breakfast burrito he likes from McDonalds. I would neverrrr try one of those! But I bravely tried a homemade one. And it was surprisingly good. The egg was cheesy and the Italian sausage and taco sauce added a bit of spiciness to the burrito. It was MUCH tastier then I imagined it would be and I’m happy I tried it.
You can use any kind of sausage you want and your favorite types of pepper. We went with a red, green and yellow bell pepper because they add great color, and Kara happened to buy the 3-pack. I like having a recipe that can easily be altered to utilize ingredients you already have on hand. That’s definitely the case with this recipe…just use what you’ve got!
Here’s what you’ll need
Remove the sausage from its casing. We used hot italian sausage.
Crack 4 eggs
Add the chopped peppers and onions to the skillet
Cook it low and slow
Add a splash of heavy cream to your beaten eggs
Then season with salt and pepper
Now add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese, about a half cup or so
Now add the egg mixture to your skillet and continue to cook low and slow
Cook on low, stirrring occasionally
Roll the filling into flour tortillas, add some taco sauce and breakfast is served!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (we used red, yellow and green)
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- splash of heavy cream
- 8 flour tortillas
- taco sauce to taste (we used Ortega brand)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start with the sausage. If you bought the sausage in the casings remove them from the casings. Add the sausage, onions and peppers to a large skillet and cook low and slow, breaking up the sausage pieces with a wooden spoon while it cooks.
- While the sausage, onions and peppers are cooking, crack 4 eggs and whisk together in a medium bowl. Mix in a splash of heavy cream (about 2 tablespoons or so) and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sausage is almost cooked through, pour the egg mixture in and continue cooking low and slow. Stir occasionally until done, about 5-10 minutes.
- To assemble the burritos, add a couple of spoonfuls of the sausage and egg mixture to a flour tortilla. Add taco sauce to taste. Roll the tortilla up and secure shut with a toothpick. If all 8 burritos are not going to be eaten in one sitting, then wait to add the taco sauce to prevent the burrito from getting soggy.