4th of July is prime time for fireworks, fests, parades, red, white and blue, the Taste of Chicago (if you’re from Chicago), and grilling. Hot dogs and hamburgers are a must over the holiday weekend, and pretty much throughout the whole summer. But here’s one burger you can’t make on a grill! And this is my idea of a burger. Nilla wafers, a chocolate cookie, frosting and coconut. What a great combo and what a cute dessert to bring to a 4th of July party! These are much better than the beef version in my opinion.
My mom used to make Hamburger Cookies all the time when we were kids so I thought everybody was familiar with Hamburger Cookies. But I don’t think that’s the case. Have you ever seen them? I know my friend Jen is familiar because she made them last year for a summer BBQ. But anybody else out there? Maybe it’s a neighborhood thing? I’m not sure. Regardless, it’s not too late to whip these up for your weekend parties.
Here’s what you’ll need. You can pretty much use any round chocolate cookie you want.
First let’s make the condiments. The yellow frosting is mustard
And here’s the Ketchup. The only way I’ll eat ketchup and mustard is in the form of dyed frosting 🙂
We mixed green food coloring with coconut to make some lettuce
Put a dab of frosting on your nilla wafer to secure the “burger”
Now dress it how you like. We start with “ketchup”
Then a dollop of “mustard”
Top it off with some” lettuce”
And the top half of the “bun”.
Now we brush just a bit of egg white wash on top of the bun…
This helps to secure the sesame seeds. Gotta have a sesame seed bun!
Now sink your teeth into this burger! Happy 4th of July!
- 20 Nilla Wafers
- 10 Oreo Fudge Creams
- 1/2 cup frosting, separated in 2
- 1/4 cup coconut
- handful of sesame seeds
- green, yellow and red food coloring
- 1 egg white, for egg wash
- Take a ½ cup of regular white frosting and divide it equally into 2 bowls. Mix red food coloring in one and yellow in the other to make ketchup and mustard. In another bowl mix a few drops of green food coloring with ¼ cup coconut. Add the food colorings slowly until you reached the color you want.
- To assemble your burgers, start with a Nilla Wafer. Add a pea-sized amount of frosting to the flat side of the Nilla Wafer, then secure the Oreo on top. Top the Oreo with a bit of “ketchup,” “mustard,” and “lettuce.” Then place another Nilla Wafer on top, the flat sides of the Nilla Wafers should be facing eachother.
- In a small bowl prepare your egg white wash. On the top of your “hamburger bun” place just enough egg white wash for a few sesame seeds to stick.
- Best served the same day.