This Pistachio Cake is old school. It’s been a family favorite for as long as I can remember and since it’s my Dad’s favorite we make it at least once every year on his birthday. The whole family likes it and our family friends too; it’s a tried and true recipe we make regularly for get-togethers.
When I was younger I was scared to try Pistachio Cake because I thought that cream cheese in dessert was weird. In fact I didn’t really like cream cheese at all until my adult years. Silly me! But it turns out cream cheese in dessert is like…genius.
As soon as I tried this cake I fell immediately in love! The pistachio pudding is sweet and smooth, the cream cheese layer is actually my favorite part and the Cool Whip topping balances it perfectly. It’s a fun cake because of the vibrant green color too.
I have seen many people make a pistachio bundt cake using either yellow or white cake mixes, but I’ve never tried that version. I definitely think our Pistachio Cake is the route to go. The pistachio is the prominent flavor just as it should be. And since it’s my Dad’s favorite I know it has to be good.
How to Make Pistachio Cake
Start by combining Bisquick, brown sugar, and butter for the crust.
Combine it until it’s crumbly.
Press it down evenly into a 9×13 baking dish, then pop it into the oven.
While the crust bakes, start on your next layer…
Add a cup of cool whip to the confectioners’ sugar and cream cheese.
Add that mixture to the cooled crust.
Now for the pistachio layer!
Mix until it’s thickened.
Now spread the pistachio layer on top of the cream cheese layer.
Top layer is the Cool Whip.
Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. You could use pistachios too, but walnuts are often used because they are more affordable.
Make our family special before summer’s over!
- 1 1/4 cup Bisquick
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 3 tbsp butter, firm and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (we used walnuts)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 2 packages (3 ¾ ounces each) JELLO instant pistachio pudding
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Mix the Bisquick, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Press into greased baking dish. Bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat 1 cup confectioners’ sugar with the cream cheese until smooth. Mix 1 cup Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture. Spread over cooled crust.
- Mix pistachio pudding and milk with a hand mixer until thickened. Carefully pour the pudding over the cream cheese layer and spread evenly. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Fold in 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar into the remaining Cool Whip and spread over set pudding. Sprinkle with nuts before serving.