If you’re the type who gets home from work either not knowing what to make for dinner or too tired for anything that involves much more than boiling noodles or takeout, then let me introduce you to my new friend: Fish Taco.
Fish Taco takes only 20 minutes or so to make, and he’s a much healthier alternative to pasta. And he’s easier on your wallet than takeout. While the fish cooks, whip up your salsa and sour cream mix. And just like that Fish Taco is ready.
Should I stop talking about Fish Taco like he’s a person?
I’ll take that as a yes.
But seriously…these tacos really are a quick meal, and they taste great. The pineapple and mango salsa gives it a fresh, tropical flavor which pairs well with the fish. The sour cream with chipotle sauce adds a bit of spicy zing, but nothing too over the top. You can switch up the fish too. Shrimp would work well. Or halibut, mahi mahi, cod, etc. I don’t know what else, you tell me! We went with tilapia just because Kara had some in the freezer.
I’m glad we stepped away from the all baking and tried grilling for a change. Summer is a perfect time for fish tacos. And these Tilapia Tacos with Fruit Salsa were the perfect dinner on a hot summer night. It’s been sweltering hot in Chicago these days. I’d say it’s somewhere around 160 degrees. Give or take a few degrees. Way too hot to turn an oven on in my opinion. Now is the perfect opportunity to use the grill!
Here’s what you’ll need
Season your fish with salt and pepper
And a little chili powder too
Also squeeze some lime juice on them
Put some oil on a paper towel and…
Oil the grill grates like so…
Cook them for about 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness
For the sauce, stir some chipotle sauce into the sour cream. About 1-2 tablespoons per 1 cup of sour cream
Squeeze some lime juice into your pineapple, mango, jalapeno pepper salsa
Season it with just a bit of salt to help bring out all the flavors
Now assemble them: a tortilla, some tilapia, plenty of salsa and a drizzle of chipotle sour cream
A delicious, healthy, and quick dinner!
Tilapia Tacos with Fruit Salsa
- 2 tilapia filets
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-2 cup chipotle sauce
- 1/2 tsp (or so) chili powder
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed in the microwave
- salt and pepper
- Wipe your grill down with oil so that the fish doesn’t stick. Season both sides of the tilapia filets with salt, pepper and chili powder. Squeeze on the juice of ½ a lime. Grill the tilapia filets for about 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- For the sour cream, stir in about 1-2 tablespoons of chipotle sauce into 1 cup of sour cream.
- For the salsa, combine the diced pineapple, diced mango and diced jalapeno pepper in a small bowl. Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lime and season with salt.
- Warm the flour tortillas up in the microwave right before serving. Cut the fish up into small pieces. To assemble your tacos, add the tilapia and salsa onto the flour tortilla. Top with chipotle sauce and serve.