Isn’t it funny how you go through phases with what you cook? First, I found myself making caramel everything. Then, it was cake batter flavored everything. Now, my obsession is s’mores. In just one weekend I made s’mores pancakes, I made homemade marshmallows and homemade graham crackers to take to a campfire party, then the next day I made these s’mores pudding parfaits with some left over marshmallows and graham crackers. It didn’t end there though. The rest of the leftover marshmallows I dipped in melted chocolate, and then the leftover graham cracker crumbs. Can you tell I love s’mores?
I made one mistake while making these s’mores pudding parfaits. I should have trusted my instincts. When I was reading the ingredients I was unsure if I should follow the directions and use bittersweet chocolate or go with my instincts and use semisweet chocolate. I should have gone with the semisweet chocolate. Now, if you like bittersweet chocolate then it is fine, but I don’t! I should know that by now! You live and you learn I guess. Next time I make this I will be using semisweet chocolate. Other than that the parfaits were really good. We simplified it by using marshmallows instead of “marshmallow topping.” If you want the feeling of eating s’mores by the campfire, but would rather stay in the air conditioning then this is the perfect dessert for you!
Here is what you’ll need + Baileys
Crush the graham crackers
Transfer the crumbs to a bowl with the melted butter
Add the cinnamon
Add the sugar
Spread the graham cracker mixture on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven
Chop the chocolate
Add the sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt and the corn starch to a pot
Add the egg mixture and whisk
Whisk in the heavy cream, bring to a boil and let boil for 30 seconds
Remove from heat and add the butter
Add the vanilla; keep whisking
Add the chocolate; keep whisking
Don’t forget the baileys! While the pudding is cooling drink some more Baileys.
Layer the pudding, graham cracker crumbs and marshmallows. Torch the mallows!
While you enjoy the s’mores pudding parfaits, I’m off to watch Jersey Shore. It’s tee-shirt tiiiiime!
Graham cracker layer
- 10 graham crackers, coarsely crumbled
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp baileys
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To the graham cracker crumbs add the melted butter, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; mix well. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until crisp; about 10 minutes.
- To make the pudding, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt in a medium saucepan. Add the egg yolks and whisk to blend. Gradually whisk in the milk and the cream. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Allow to boil for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate, baileys, butter and vanilla; whisk until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Let the pudding cool slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Once the pudding is cool spoon a couple tablespoons into each bowl. If you have a bowl with a wide opening then add a little more. Next add some graham cracker crumbs. Add more pudding and then more crumbs. Top with marshmallows. Toast the marshmallows with a torch if you’d like.