Yesterday Kara told you about our less than stellar weekend. Having my car towed was definitely not how I wanted to spend my Saturday. Luckily I take the train to work because I won’t be getting it back for another day or so. A total bummer for sure. But Kara forgot to mention something else: our broken oven. A broken oven is worse than a broken car in my world!
Either the oven doesn’t heat correctly or the last 3 desserts we’ve baked have been crummy recipes. Blame the recipe or blame the oven? Hmm…I know it wasn’t us who messed up! It’s got to be the oven.Needless to say I’m really happy to post a recipe that doesn’t require an oven and cannot be screwed up no matter how hard you try. There aren’t any precise measurements. Some berries, basil, simple syrup, rum and topped with a lil effervescence (club soda)! This drink was really tasty! Now, I know that basil might sound a bit odd for a mojito. But it actually works really well, don’t be intimidated by this unlikely pairing! Awhile back we made fruit skewers with basil and we learned then how well basil complimented fruit.
This is the first time I’ve ever made simple syrup. Not that simple syrup is a major feat or anything, but it still felt kind of special to make it. And it adds sweetness to the drink on top of the sweet berries. Overall a perfectly sweet combination! And what’s even better is the recipe for simple syrup makes more than you’ll need for 1 drink. So you can either make a few drinks or save the simple syrup for a fun drink another night. Use strawberries, raspberries or some other fruit…but make sure you try this drink before summer is over!
Here’s what you’ll need.
Use equal parts water and sugar to make a simple syrup
Start by putting some strawberries in a glass
Add in some fresh basil too
Pour in the simple syrup
Use a muddler (or the back of a wood spoon like us) to muddle
Rum. This step is important! We tried 1 strawberry rum and 1 regular rum. Both were good!
Don’t forget to add some ice in there
Finish it off with some club soda. A little effervescence!
A refreshing and tasty drink. Great for a girls’ night in.
Strawberry Basil Mojitos
- handful fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- about 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- 1.5 oz simple syrup
- club soda
- 2 oz light colored rum (we used Bacardi)
For the Simple Syrup:
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup sugar
- Start by making the simple syrup. Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool. Any simple syrup you don’t use can be stored in the refrigerator for another use.
- In a 10-12 ounce glass muddle the simple syrup, strawberries and basil together with the back of a spoon or muddler. Pour in the rum and stir well. Fill glass with ice and top off with club soda.
- Garnish with basil sprigs or strawberry slices.