Even though it is not technically fall yet, it sure feels like it. We went to an Oktoberfest this weekend and I had the best apple donut I have ever had. And I’ve had A LOT of apple donuts in my life. It was hot out of the fryer and freshly rolled in cinnamon and sugar. For me, apple donuts are the epitome of fall. I was even inspired to break out my Halloween decorations! Different seasons inspire me to make different foods. When it is cold I am all about soups, hot beverages and roasts. When it is warm I am all about fruit, ice cream and grilling. But there is one food that is always on my list: pizza.
I am constantly reinventing the pizza; thinking of new ways to serve it and flavor combinations to enjoy. This pizza was actually Cliff’s idea and it turned out better than we imagined. He wanted to make a pizza with spinach and artichokes. As we were discussing how that would work we both thought of this spinach pesto we made awhile back. It was perfect on this pizza. I am not a huge fan of spinach but turn it into a pesto and spread it on pizza and even I will eat it! I recommend making a big batch of spinach pesto and freezing it in 1 cup servings. This is very similar to spinach artichoke dip, but on pizza. This is one recipe we will make no matter what season it is!
Here is what you’ll need
Roll out the dough thinly
Spread generously with the spinach cashew pesto
Top with artichokes
And monterrey jack cheese
Bake 11-13 minutes or until slightly browned
Quick, easy and delicious!
Spinach Pesto Pizza with Artichokes
- Pizza dough, frozen, pre-made crust or use this recipe from Pioneer Woman
- 1 cup spinach cashew pesto
- 1 cup canned artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1-2 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- Baby spinach leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough as thin as you can. Spread the spinach pesto on the crust. Add the chopped artichokes and top with the shredded cheese. Bake for 11-13 minutes. If you would like to, garnish it with baby spinach leaves just before serving.