Can you believe that Thanksgiving is only 2 weeks away? Time is flying by! It is really starting to feel like winter around here. Cold, windy, rainy and dark. We won’t be seeing much of the sun for the next 4 months. I hate that it is already dark when I leave work at 5 o’clock. So depressing. Even though time is flying by we tried to really work ahead of schedule this year. Hopefully, we can provide you with quite a few recipes before your Thanksgiving menu is set in stone. If you have not settled on a sweet potato recipe yet you are in luck. These twice baked sweet potatoes are a perfect side for any Thanksgiving meal. Now that thanksgiving is almost here it is time to start thinking about Christmas recipes!
I love, love, love twice baked potatoes. But they are not exactly the healthiest food around. I like to fill mine with lots of sour cream and cheddar cheese. They are heavenly, but I only make them about 1 time per year, if that. These twice baked sweet potatoes are a much healthier option. And they might taste even better! There is a very minimal amount of mascarpone cheese and the butter could probably be reduced or omitted if you’d like. I am always looking for ways to use mascarpone cheese! I just love it. It makes everything so creamy! This recipe originally called for crème fraiche but I think that mascarpone cheese works perfectly. I will definitely be making these over and over again. And they WILL be on our table for our Thanksgiving celebration.
Here is what you’ll need, we cut the recipe in half but the amounts below are the full recipe. Just ignore the brown sugar. I don’t know why that is there!
Coat the potatoes in oil
Roast for about 1 hour, remove, and cut each potato in half
Remove the flesh from the top halves of the potatoes. Discard the skin.
Scoop out the middle sections of the bottom halves of the potatoes. Leave a little potato along the sides.
To the flesh of the potatoes add the butter, mascarpone, bourbon, syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper
Put the filling back in the potatoes
Mix together the remaining butter, nutmeg, panko and hazelnuts
Sprinkle over the potatoes and return to the oven
Go ahead! Add it to your Thanksgiving menu!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 6 tbsp melted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat the potatoes with vegetable oil. Roast for for 1 to 1.5 hours, until tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut each potato in half. Scoop the flesh out of the top half of each potato into a bowl. Discard skins.
- Scoop the flesh out of the bottom halves and into the same bowl, leaving a little around the edges so that the skins keep their form.
- To the flesh add the mascarpone cheese, 4 tablespoons butter, bourbon, syrup, cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mash it together with a spoon.
- Scoop the mixture back into the potato skins.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining melted butter, nutmeg, panko and hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle over the potatoes and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes.