It is rare that we bake proper cakes around here. We do a lot cupcakes, brownies, cookies, and cheesecakes. I always find cakes a little daunting though. But my friend was celebrating her daughter’s first birthday and I wanted to make the “smash cake.” She wanted either white cake or yellow cake and no food coloring in the frosting. In order to “spice” things up a bit I decided to throw in as many sprinkles as I could. Sprinkles make everything better!
I had so much fun making this cake that I did it twice! I made one for practice and another one for the big day. Which was lucky for me, because I got to taste a piece! There is something about funfetti cake that is just so fun. I think they make perfect birthday cakes! Despite my love for funfetti cake, I think they may be the first time I have made a funfetti cake from scratch. It was perfectly moist and tasted way better then a box mix! I couldn’t attend my friend’s daughter’s first birthday so I am glad I could make the cake.
Funfetti Birthday Cake
- 4 egg whites from large eggs
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, very soft
- 8 tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/3 cup multi-colored jimmies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with Pam or cooking spray. In a bowl combine the egg whites, ¼ cup milk, and vanilla extract. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix for 30 seconds then add the butter and shortening. Mix for an additional 30 seconds. Pour in the remaining milk and keep mixing on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Slowly add the egg white mixture. Mix for one more minute. Fold in the jimmies. Divide the batter between the 2 pans and cook for 23 minutes.
- While the cakes are baking make the frosting. Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Begin mixing on high. Add 4 cups of sugar, mix, add the milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add the rest of the sugar.
- You can decorate the cakes anyway you want. I wanted to make a giant funfetti whoopie pie cake. I spread about half of the frosting on the flat side of one cake. Then I topped it with the second cake. I placed the top cake flat side down. I piped the rest of the frosting on the outside of the cake between the two layers. Finally, I added some more sprinkles.