Writing this post makes me laugh because just hours before we made this Citrus Ginger Smoothie Kara and I both got Jamba Juice. I specifically ordered an Orange Carrot Karma because it was 180 calories, had a full serving of vegetables, and would hopefully give me good karma. Then Kara told me that carrots aren’t technically a vegetable, they’re a starch. I wanted to smack her right then and there! I think she’s wrong.
Fast forward about an hour later. Round 2 of smoothies. We went with this recipe because the flavor combination was really intriguing. It came together in 5 minutes flat and even though we had hesitations about the ginger we were pleasantly surprised. It was really refreshing and the balance of ginger and citrus was great. The ginger is a prominent flavor, but in a good way. I couldn’t taste the banana which was kind of surprising because usually I think bananas overpower smoothies.
Drinking 2 smoothies in one day was… exhilarating. The intake of carrots, mango, bananas, ginger, Greek yogurt, clementines, etc. left me feeling full and energized for the rest of the day. And that never happens. 🙂 Plus, I’m happy to say that our smoothie was just as good if not better than Jamba Juice.
Citrus Ginger Smoothie
- 2 clementines, peeled and divided into sections
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 inch slice of fresh ginger, skin removed
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (either 0% or 2% fat)
- 1 tsp light agave nectar
- 1 cup ice cubes (more if too watery)
- Using a blender, blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Pour into a glass and drink or serve immediately. Recipe can easily be doubled/tripled/etc. to serve more!