Have you guys seen the Hunger Games yet? I just saw it. I thought they did a really good job of sticking to the book. It drives me crazy how movies are never as good as books. This one I thought was pretty equal. I went with 4 friends from my book club. 1 left after about a ½ hour cause she felt motion sick. 1 wore a bib, and covered her eyes the whole movie. I’d say it is time for some new friends. Just kidding guys! So, team Peeta or team Gale? I was team Peeta for the books but team Gale for the movie. I didn’t like the guy cast as Peeta in the movie.
Speaking of hunger, I’ve got a great healthy recipe for you today. Have you had quinoa before? First of all, how do you even pronounce quinoa? KEEN-wah. Quinoa is not my most favorite food. But, if you flavor it really well it’s a great dish to make every once in a while. We flavored this quinoa with lemon and orange and served it with grilled scallops. I love scallops and especially paired with citrus. This meal seems like something that would take forever to put together but really, it is pretty simple!
Citrus Quinoa with Scallops
- 2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- Zest of 1 orange
- cooking spray
- 1 bay scallops
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan combine water, orange zest, quinoa and salt. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Once the water is absorbed remove from heat and allow to sit another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Combine the olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Whisk together and set aside.
- Put the scallops on skewers. Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and heat to high. Drizzle the scallops with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the scallops about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Add the beans and the parsley to the quinoa and place on a platter. Put the skewers of scallops on top of the quinoa. Pour the dressing over the quinoa and scallops.