Now that spring is officially here, ice cream is officially back in my diet. I’ve already had ice cream and/or frozen yogurt several times this week. Oops. But on my defense it is record breaking hot in Chicago right now. I’ve got to stay cool somehow.
Growing up I used to spend most of my summer days at the pool, swimming and hanging out at the concession stand. The concession stand had all the kid favorites- nachos, licorice ropes and of course ice cream sandwiches. My favorites were always the ice cream sandwiches. There were 2 kinds that I remember: the rectangular ones with the chocolate cookie outside and the round ones with the chocolate chip cookie outside. They were both great!
These ice cream sandwiches resemble the round ones at the pool, except that these are a million times better. For one, we used Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Joy the Baker. These are one of the best cookies I’ve ever had. No joke. They’re that good. Second, we rolled the sandwiches in candied bacon. Unreal.
Recently I’ve seen lots of desserts with candied bacon. At first I thought it was really weird but the more I thought about it the more I realized how genius it was. One of my favorite combinations is sweet and salty. Candied bacon is exactly that, sweet and salty. Needless to say, these Ice Cream Sandwiches tasted delicious. The cookies were amazing, the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream was to die for and the candied bacon was the perfect sweet and salty touch!
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches with Candied Bacon
1. In a small bowl, combine chopped bacon and brown sugar.
2. Cook bacon until crispy, remove from pan and transfer to a plate.
3. Spread the ice cream out onto a baking sheet and freeze. Then use a glass to form circles.
4. Like this! Now sandwich between 2 cookies.
5. Roll the Ice Cream Sandwiches in the candied bacon then wrap in foil and freeze until set.
You can use mini chips instead of bacon too. But you’ve got to try the candied bacon!
Ice Cream Sandwiches with Candied Bacon
- Start by spreading the ice cream into an even layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for at least one hour, preferably 2 hours.
- Next, cook the bacon. Dice the bacon and place in a small bowl. Add the brown sugar and mix together. Cook bacon on a hot skillet until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a plate. Once the bacon is cooled, cut into tiny pieces. Set aside.
- Pair the cookies up to try and find cookies roughly equal in size. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and use a glass to cut circles. Remove the ice cream circles from the pan with a spatula and place on the cookie. Add the cookie’s pair on top and roll or sprinkle the sides with the candied bacon.
- Immediately wrap the Ice Cream Sandwiches in foil and place in the freezer to set. Remove the sandwiches from the freezer right before serving.