Normally I’m not a big fan of burgers. I don’t know why for sure, most likely because I’m not big on beef in general. I used to hate the days my parents made burgers for dinner growing up. Yuck. I do however like turkey burgers. LOVE them actually! And recently I’ve been craving turkey burgers pretty often.
The butcher at Marianos has chicken sausages with spinach and feta cheese. I’ve never tried them, but these sausages were the inspiration behind our turkey burgers. Turkey burgers with feta cheese and spinach sounded so good to me! And grilling on a beautiful day sounded great too.
Because of the feta cheese, we decided to throw olives and oregano into the mix to put a Greek spin on the burgers. We bought a soft olive focaccia from Marianos and added fresh oregano to the burgers. The combination of ingredients was perfect!
Spinach Feta Turkey Burger on Olive Focaccia
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- handful fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- olive focaccia, or other bun
- lettuce and tomato slices, for garnish
- In a large bowl combine turkey, feta cheese, baby spinach, garlic and oregano. Use your hands to mix until combined, being careful to not overwork the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Form the meat into small balls, about 2 tablespoons each.
- Grill the burgers until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side, depending on the size of the burger. If using a focaccia loaf, cut into squares about the size of the mini burgers, then slice buns in half lengthwise.
- Serve turkey burgers on the focaccia buns with lettuce, tomato and an extra helping of feta cheese.