One of the things I’m most looking forward to this summer (aside from the 30th floor sun deck I found in my building today…Yippee!) is Green City Market. It’s only a couple blocks away so I plan on going every Saturday throughout the summer! I got the ingredients for this Roasted Asparagus Bruschetta from Green City and we made this lovely dish on Mother’s Day.
After close to 350 posts, it’s becoming a challenge to come up with new recipes. I know there are food bloggers out there who have been blogging way longer than we have, how do you all keep coming up with creative recipes?! We want to keep things interesting and fun so we decided that Kara and Cliff’s garden and Green City would become our summer inspiration.
Each Saturday morning we are going to buy 3 or 4 random ingredients from Green City. We’ll choose ingredients we’ve never cooked with before, ingredients we’ve never heard of, and ingredients that look fresh and fun. From these random ingredients we will create a recipe. Think Chopped.
A week before the recipe posts we’ll tell you what ingredients are that we’re working with. We thought it would be fun if our readers commented with recipes they’ve come up with based on those same ingredients. I think it will be interesting to see all the recipe possibilities. The ingredients we’re working with next week are: eggs (freshest eggs I’ve ever seen), apple cider and honeycrisp apples.
This particular recipe came together really quickly. The pretzel loaf, asparagus, cheese and chives are all from Green City. I don’t like asparagus, but Kara loves it and everyone liked this bruschetta on Mother’s Day. I chose purple asparagus because it was pretty, and a little different. The cheese was yummy! It was creamy and soft and the perfect choice because it melted beautifully. It was very mild too so it balanced well with the other ingredients. Final results…tasty and so pretty!!
Roasted Asparagus Bruschetta
- 1 lb asparagus (we used purple)
- 1 pretzel loaf
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butterkase cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line asparagus in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Coat lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the pretzel roll in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove pretzel loaf from the oven and immediately rub the insides with a garlic clove. The garlic will literally melt into the bread. Cut the asparagus into pieces about 2 inches long, or equal in size to the bread. Line the asparagus pieces on top of the bread. Sprinkle with butterkase cheese and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes, just until the cheese melts. Once out of the oven, sprinkle with fresh chives and serve immediately.