Has everyone already started celebrating the holiday? I guess with the 4th being in the middle of the week the festivities will be a little longer this year. So far, we have attended 2 parties, went to brunch with my parents, and had a pool day. So far, so good. As soon as we got to the pool today the sky turned black and it looked like it was about to pour so we headed back home. It never did rain, and not 20 minutes later it was perfectly nice out. So, we headed back to the pool. We are really taking advantage of our new neighborhood pool this year. People are always having pizzas and sandwiches delivered to the pool and I get so jealous! I just want to sneak over and steal a piece!
We made this pizza a couple of weeks ago and I have to say, it is one of my favorites pizzas that we’ve made. Sometimes I like to get creative with my pizza toppings and other times I try to keep it simple. This is one of the more simple pizzas we have made but the fresh ingredients really make it a stand out. I made some quick pesto with basil from my garden. Hopefully, I’ll get some cherry tomatoes from our garden soon but these store bought ones were good too. And I really love fresh mozzarella. Is there anything better in the summer than fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella? How about adding shrimp? And garlic? We were supposed to share this pizza with my parents for dinner but Kelly and I ate the whole thing before they even showed up. Whoops! You snooze you lose!
Pesto Pizza with Shrimp and Tomatoes
- 1/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 batch pizza dough, or crust, we used this recipe
- 8 oz mozzarella
- 1 cup homemade or store bought
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the pizza dough to about 12 inches in diameter. Brush the dough with olive oil and bake for 7 minutes.
- Heat a sauté pan with the oil and add the garlic. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper and cut them into bite sized pieces. Add the shrimp and the tomatoes to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- Take the pizza out of the oven. Spread the pesto over the crust.
- Add the sliced mozzarella, shrimp, and tomatoes.
- Bake another 13 minutes. Let rest for about 5 minutes; slice and serve.