I’m not sure if anybody remembers this restaurant chain, but back in 1994 I had an obsession with Schlotzky’s Deli. Schlotzsky’s used to be nearby growing up…in a building that was Bob’s Mini Golf before and Bowl House after. Once it closed I was only able to indulge in Schlotszky’s when we stopped on our yearly road trips to Michigan. Exit 98…halfway there and my favorite rest stop. Even that one might be gone now too. There are no more Schlotszky’s anywhere near me…at least that I know of. Whhaaa!
This story does have a point. Every time I went to Schlotszky’s, I ordered an individual BBQ Chicken Pizza. It was on sourdough bread and had lots of cheddar cheese. It was pure heaven. I couldn’t tell you one other thing was on that menu because the pizza was all I ever tried. Even years later I think about it!
These BBQ Chicken Quesadillas, which we made over the weekend and immediately scarfed down, totally reminded me of my favorite childhood pizza. Kara and I were throwing around quesadilla options, because let’s face it, the possibilities are endless when it comes to ‘dillas. BBQ Chicken is what we decided on and it was a great choice!! And I know…Pizza and Quesadillas… not really the same thing. But all the same flavors that I loved were there!
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (we used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/4 red red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 2 cup Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 10 small flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken and barbeque sauce. Set aside.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Lay one tortilla in the center of the pan. Spread about 1/4 cup of chicken on the tortilla and top with a sprinkling of red onion and pineapple. Top generously with shredded cheese. Lay another tortilla over top and flatten with a spatula.
- Cook, abut 2 minutes per side, until crisp, golden brown and heated through. Serve immediately.