A learned a few things this weekend. Mostly having to do with pomegranates. First, I learned how to open and remove the seeds from a pomegranate. Second, I learned that you only eat the seeds of a pomegranate. Who knew? Thirdly, and most importantly, i learned that I really like pomegranate seeds. I received my Food Network magazine recently and there was an article on how to open a pomegranate. First, you hit it pretty hard with a wooden spoon. Then cut it in half then hit it again and many of the seeds will fall out. I’d never attempted to open a pomegranate but this method worked pretty well.
I was a little afraid to try the seeds at first since I am not good at trying new things. I made Cliff try one first and he didn’t croak on the spot so I decided to give it a try as well. I really like them. The texture was kind of like corn, as strange as that sounds. You bit into the seed and it kind of pops and squirts and its very strange. But I liked it. I am going to start putting pomegranate seeds on everything now!
We decided to Christmas up regular old monkey bread by adding cranberries and pomegranate seeds. As if monkey bread is not good enough on its own, you know? It could be worse, we could have added chocolate or something a lot less healthy that cranberries and pomegranate seeds. Speaking of healthy, pomegranate seeds have all kinds of health benefits. I know you don’t come here to learn about health though. We really liked the way this monkey bread tasted and it looked super festive too!
Monkey Bread Cupcakes with Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 can jumbo biscuits
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters.
- Add the biscuits, cinnamon, sugar, and cranberries to a zipoc bag and shake well to coat.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and fill each cupcake about 1/2 full with the biscuit mixture.
- We got 11 cupcakes.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a small pot and heat over medium heat.
- Cook until the mixture is smooth and caramely.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the cupcakes.
- Bake for 16 minutes.
- Once cooled, top with pomegranate seeds.