Lunch aside, this Caprese Chicken Salad Sandwich makes a great dinner option too…grain, protein, dairy and veggie- they’re all there. I love using rotisserie chicken, let the grocery store do the work for you. Using a rotisserie chicken to make a tasty sandwich is so convenient for weeknight meals, especially if you’re a family on the go…soccer practice, homework, or even a night you’d just rather spend in front of the TV or immersed in a good book. I have plenty of those.
As you know, caprese incorporates tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. Here’s the best part of this sandwich. These ingredients are not always fresh during winter, we use JARRED tomato pesto and basil pesto. They last longer than buying fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. 😉
Caprese Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1 large loaf of bread (we used ciabatta)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup tomato pesto
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into ½ inch thick circles
- 3 cup cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Lay bread halves on a large sheet of aluminum foil and then on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken, pine nuts, mayo and pesto. In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic and melted butter. Brush garlic butter on the insides of both halves of bread.
- On the inside of one halve of bread, spread the tomato pesto evenly. Top with slices of fresh mozzarella and then the shredded chicken mixture on top of the mozzarella. Place the top of the bread on and wrap sandwich tightly in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden on the outside and heated through on the inside. Cut into sandwiches and serve immediately.