Last week we went a little citrus crazy. At the grocery store I bought lemons, meyer lemons, oranges, mangos, and a lime. I think my body was craving some vitamin C. That or it was my way of pretending that it was 90 degrees and sunny outside instead of 19 degrees, snowy, and dreary. So ready to be done with winter.
It was just last year that I cooked with my first meyer lemon. Hard to believe, right? Now I try to incorporate them into everything! In fact, I bought 2 meyer lemon trees last year. 1 for my Mom and 1 for me. I currently have two little lemons on my tree. But they are green. Is that right? Should they be green? If I ever get a lemon off that tree I will be thrilled. For now, it is a fun experiment!
I have been wanting pancakes lately so we decided to jazz them up by adding a compound butter. And then cutting into hearts for Valentine’s Day. Super cute. I still have a whole bunch of butter left so I need to think of ways to use it! You could do this with other fruit too. I think lime would be great. Maybe blueberry-lemon butter? Might have to try that next!
Meyer Lemon Strawberry Compound Butter
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp meyer lemon juice
- zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 1/4 cup strawberries, diced
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice and zest. Continue mixing until well incorporated.
- Turn speed to low and add the strawberries.
- Line a baking pan with plastic wrap. Leave enough plastic wrap around the edges to fold the plastic wrap over the butter.
- Spread the butter into a 6 x 6 square.
- Fold the plastic wrap over and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving use a cookie cutter to cut out pads of butter. Or, just cut the butter into pads.