I don’t know if I have ever talked about tater tots on the blog before. If not, I can’t imagine why not? They are like my #1 fave convenience food. If Cliff is not eating dinner at home, I usually make myself a big tray of tots. I do this more often than I should admit. Clearly, not a well balanced meal. Luckily, I pair my tots with ketchup, which I understand counts as a veggie, so its all good.
So, even though I am tot obsessed I wasn’t sure about this recipe when Kelly suggested it. I wasn’t sure if the tots would really shine. Obviously, I had nothing to worry about. Turning my favorite side dish into a dip should have been a no brainer for me. When is adding cheese ever a bad thing? Answer: never. We also added crumbled bacon and green onions to make it a kind of loaded baked potato dip. But made with tots. Seriously yum.
Tater Tot Dip
- 3 cup tater tots, defrosted and roughly chopped
- 16 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese, divided
- clove garlic, chopped
- wheat thins
- green onions, chopped for garnish
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Gently fold in the chopped tater tots.
- Transfer to an approximately 8 x 8 inch oven safe baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- While it is baking chop the green onions and cook the bacon.
- Once out of the oven garnish the dip with bacon crumbles and green onions.
- Serve hot with wheat thins.