In a little over 2 weeks I’ll be off celebrating my friend Catherine’s last days of single life. Her bachelorette party is in Austin and I couldn’t be any more pumped about spending time with my closest girlfriends. I’ve never been to Texas and I hear that Austin is super fun. Just wondering, is there any Texas fare that I shouldn’t pass up? Despite all the excitement, I am slightly worried (borderline nauseous) about fitting into dresses, rompers and…*shutter*…bathing suits. It’s basically winter 9+ months out of the year here in Chicago so I can get away with things like capes. But…not so much in TX.
This Roasted Beet and Blackberry Spinach Salad does have a small amount of bacon and a tiny sprinkling of cheese…but we need something to make the baby spinach taste good, right? Plus, there is a lot of good stuff going into this salad: blackberries, beets, spinach, raw nuts. Gosh I love beets! All the ingredients came together perfectly to make a yummy salad and the dressing is one I’d make over and over for other salads.
Roasted Beet and Blackberry Spinach Salad
For the Salad
- 4 cup baby spinach
- 3 beets, roasted, cooled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked until crisp then roughly chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- handful blackberries
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp fruity jam (we used rhubarb-raspberry-cherry jam)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss together all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Prepare the vinaigrette next. Whisk together jam, rice vinegar and white balsamic vinegar in a small bowl or jar until the jam has broken up. Pour in olive oil and continue whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle the salad with vinaigrette and serve immediately.