4th of July is my favorite time of year. I’m so excited for this week…family in town, a 4-day weekend (woo-hoo!), fireworks, grilling, plans with friends…all good stuff!
To prepare for the festivities coming up this week we have some easy 4th of July recipes to share with you. You know you’re going to need a last minute appetizer or dessert to bring to a BBQ at some point this week. We’ll be sharing some fun ideas starting with these kabobs. Not only are these Firecracker Fruit Kabobs adorable AND easy…but they also involve a fun little art project.
Firecracker Fruit Kabobs
Write a review
- 1 handful strawberries
- 1 handful blueberries
- 1 handful marshmallows
- blue and red food coloring
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup white chocolate, for melting
- Straws with red, white & blue streamers on top (optional)
- Grab 2 small bowls and place half the coconut in each bowl.
- Put a couple drops of red food coloring in 1 bowl and a couple drops of blue food coloring in the other.
- Stir until the coconut turns the color you’re looking for. Set aside.
- Place the white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals until melted. Be careful to not overheat!
- Dip half of the marshmallow in white chocolate then coat with the blue coconut. Next, dip the other half of the marshmallow in white chocolate and coat with red food coloring. Leave a little bit of white marshmallow in the middle so that you see red, white and blue. Let the marshmallows sit until hardened.
- While the marshmallows harden, wash the blueberries and cut the tops off the strawberries.
- If you’re making your kabobs Fire Crackers, grab the straws and cut the straw off on both ends, leaving about half an inch on both sides. Put the straws on the kabobs threading the top of the straw first.
- Now put the fruit on the skewers, in any order you want. We went with strawberry, marshmallow, 3 blueberries then repeat.