As I write this post, I’m watching Real Housewives of OC. It’s the season finale which means I’m bummed the season’s over but I’m excited the reunion shows are here. I know I’ve said previously that reality shows like the Housewives are my total guilty pleasure, but I’m going to retract that comment. I don’t feel guilty at all. IN FACT…I think they’re educational. You see, if I didn’t watch RHOC I would never be able to use the word mercurial in a sentence.
One of my favorite comfort foods is grilled cheese. Grilled cheese is just… so good…but so bad. You know what I mean!? Sometimes I’m having a day where my mood is particularly mercurial and I realize it’s grilled cheese that can turn my day around.
You see what I did there? 😉
Because we can, we decided to take the classic comfort food, grilled cheese, to a new level by frying it. I don’t know if I should apologize or say you’re welcome!! Fried grilled cheese is just as amazing as it sounds and I really liked the switch-up from the traditional choice American to the Buffalo Mozzarella. These were perfectly crunchy on the outside and perfectly gooey in the center. I didn’t try, but I bet they’d be delicious dipped in tomato soup too.
What the heck.
Here’s what you’ll need
Fried Grilled Cheese
- 1 buffalo mozzarella ball (about 200 grams)
- 12 slices french bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- salt, to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat vegetable over medium heat.
- Place mozzarella ball in a colander and let sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes so that the excess water drains.
- Slice the bread into slices, about 1 cm thick each. Use the opening of a glass to cut the bread slices into circles, removing the crust at the same time.
- Add flour to 1 medium bowl and whisk the 2 eggs together in another medium bowl. Set 2 bowls aside.
- Cut the mozzarella into 1 cm thick slices and sandwich every mozzarella slice between 2 bread slices. Secure each ‘sandwich’ closed with a toothpick.
- Dredge the sandwiches in flour first, then coat each in egg wash.
- Once the oil has reached 325-350 degrees F, deep fry the sandwiches, 1 at a time, for a few minutes, until golden on both sides.
- Remove the bread from the oil, place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and serve immediately.