In case you have not noticed it is officially football season. This is evidenced by my last 2 dinners. Dip and more dip. I prominsed my husband I would a real dinner tonight. Do you think he would consider BBQ sweet potato chips with gorgonzola and bacon to be a real dinner? Its kind of like meat and potatoes, right? There is even a green vegetable involved. I think this constitutes a real dinner. Decision made. We are having chips for dinner.
I am pretty obsessed with these sweet potatoes right now. They are smokey, yet sweet. And hello? They have gorgonzola. My fave cheese these days. I could do without the bacon and green onions, but I think most people would disagree. Bacon seems to be one of these ingredients that gets people’s attention. Like salted caramel. Add bacon or salted caramel to just about anything and people will gobble it up. These potatoes were really easy to make. The key is to slice them as evenly as possible so that they cook evenly. The thinner they are the less time they need to cook. I, of course, could not find my mandoline so I had to cut them by hand. There were a few that were extra thin and those burnt. Moral of the story, find your mandoline and use it. But dont shave off a huge chunk of your hand. That would be very bad!
BBQ Sweet Potato Chips with Gorgonzola and Bacon
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp bbq seasoning
- 2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- green onion, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes thinly with a mandoline.
- Place the potatoes into a bowl and coat with oil and bbq seasoning.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes on a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little more bbq seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with crumbled bacon, gorgonzola, and chopped green onions.