Oh these burgers. I love them. When I first saw Bev’s recipe I thought they looked so tasty and I wanted to recreate them pronto. I am a sucker for pepper jack cheese and onion buns so these really spoke to me. The problem was that my family doesn’t generally swap meat for black beans. They’re crazy, if you ask me.
When we finally made these Black Bean Burgers my Mom and Cliff were both surprised that they actually liked them. Go figure! I loved them. The kind of love where I could have them once per week for the rest of my life and never tire of them. The guacamole and the onion bun and the melty cheese and the chipotle spice throughout….so good! Kara wouldn’t go near them, but we knew that from the beginning.
The only problem we ran into was finding chipotle spread. I’ve never heard of it! Do any Chicagoans know where to find this stuff? Initially, we tried to sub with chipotle ranch but it was too runny. The second time, we subbed the spread for chipotle hummus and that worked 100 times better. I’d still like to try it with the chipotle spread though. So somebody please tell me the secret!
Black Bean Burgers with Hummus and Guacamole
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped (we used lime and chili spiced)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp chipotle hummus, plus more for spreading on the buns
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 onion buns
- 1 cup guacamole
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil.
- In a large bowl, lightly mash the black beans with a fork, they don’t need to be completely mashed. Add the onion, garlic, almonds, corn, cilantro, 2 tablespoons of chipotle hummus, the egg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Form into 4 hamburger size/shape patties with your hands. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the burgers over then add a slice of pepper jack cheese on top of each burger and bake for an additional 8 minutes, or so.
- Slice the onion buns in half lengthwise and spread one half with chipotle hummus and the other half with guacamole. Once the burgers are out of the oven place 1 burger on each bun and serve.