Awhile back our good friend Jenn from Seattle came to visit. Lets be real, she came to visit Winnie. Can’t say I blame her. Anyway, while she was here we did a little food tour of some of our favorite places in Chicago. We went to Magnolia Bakery, Antique Taco, Hot Chocolate, and then finished off the night with Lou Malnati’s Pizza. We want her to visit more often so we really tried to wow her with our food. Are you listening Jenn? Come visit us!!
When we went to Antique Taco she ordered steak nachos with beer cheese. We love beer cheese so I do not know why we never thought of that ourselves. They were delicious. How could they not be? We finally got around to recreating the nachos for the Superbowl. Cliff and I love nachos. He likes as many toppings as possible. I’m pretty much a meat, cheese, and chip girl. Maybe some Greek yogurt if I’m being adventurous. You can top this any way you’d like. At the restaurant they served it with pickled vegetables. We didn’t do olives but I think that would be great. The key is the spicy steak and the beer cheese. And of course, the more cheese, the better.
Beer Cheese and Steak Nachos
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup beer
- 4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 lb flank or skirt steak
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- tortilla chips
- greek yogurt
- black olives
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper.
- Place chilis and a spoonful of adobo sauce over the meat and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Cook steak about 4 minutes per side.
- Allow to rest while you prepare the cheese sauce.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and beer.
- Cook until thickened and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and whisk until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Cut the steak into bite sized pieces.
- Layer the tortilla chips, cheese, meat and desired toppings.
- Serve immediately.